Imperial Age Pavis

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:49:59 +1300

Keith Nellist:

Me>> And is there some reason why you continue to ignore the existance
>> of the Old Pavis Road? It is easier and cheaper to herd slaves
>> across that road then it is to ship them from Ralios to Pavis.

>On what economic model can you possibly justify this?

I simply compare the differing distances between Pavis and Dragon Pass and Pavis and Ralios.

>Who built this Old Pavis road before the city was built anyway, did
>the slaves build it as they walked?

The Flintnail cult could have built it to aid communication between Dwarf Run, Sazdorf Ruins and Pavis. Consider it the small intestine of the Faceless Statue. Wonder if the Flintnail cult sells laxatives to aid your progression on the road?

>> Where could they escape to? Pavis isn't even built when Feroda
>> was bunged and Paragua and Waha control Robcradle.

>The River of cradles valley still has a population of oasis folk farmers,

ruled by Nomads and thus hardly places of sanctuary for repulsive cradle-snatchers.

>the Port of Sog is not destroyed.

Probably sacked by Waha in the same period he sacked Adari. After all "He sent his armies against foes on every border, plundering and destroying" (P&BR p56).

>They could escape to the sea, where Giants and nomads are unlikely
>to chase them.

Giants can wade out and sink ships. And if they escaped to sea, why would they come back?

>> So how was New Pavis founded in your glorantha?

>Pavis, the Faceless Statue, a few companions and minor allies, [...]

Um, I asked for how _New_ Pavis was founded in your glorantha given your insistence that Heortlings didn't make up the original population of Pavis because it's "pretty remote" over a desert. If many settlers could follow Dorasar to the Rubble and build a thriving city there, then people from the EWF could have done so when Pavis was first built.

>> >Pavis made a deal, not friends, with Waha. Alliances are always
>> >temporary in Prax.

>> The oaths are still re-enacted today according to the Pavis
>> cult writeup. Pavis remains in existance because of these
>> oaths.

>So the destruction of the city by Jaldon was a part of the deal? So
>the constant raiding until the Troll Occupation was in the small print?

Given that the Praxians raid fellow tribes, I fail to see the contradiction. Jaldon is treating the Pavisites just like he would treat any nomad clan that refuses to follow him. The inability of the Pavisites to understand this simple fact of praxian custom is quite simply not his problem.

>>> Pavis was not part of the God
>>> Learner Empire and so the Ralians would have been sent to
>>> places like Jrustela or Umathela.

>But it did have an entire suburb, Oldtown, devoted to Jrusteli Immigrants.
>(as well as an entire suburb devoted to Zebra people). Which entire suburb
>was devoted to this mass of Theyalan craftsmen?

Why should there be one? The Theyalans are the bog standard citizens of Pavis and could have lived anywhere. And Oldtown is "hypothesized" to be inhabited by Jrusteli on the account of its ancient esrolian architecture.

Given the existance of the nearby mint, I'd say this was originally a free-standing settlement in Robcradle days rather than evidence of a significant community of Jrusteli in Pavis's day.

>> But no mention of slave trade from the sea. So the farmers
>> came from Dragon Pass, no?

>There is no specific mention of the Pavis road, but you seem to think
>that is the only alternative.

I'm just pointing out that the existance of the road means that Pavis is by no means as remote from Dragon Pass as you claim.

>> So was the City friendly to the nomads or not in the Imperial Age?

>I think this is a stupid question. It was obviously not friendly when there
>was a siege going on, nor was it friendly when the Too Tall battle was
>happening, but it could have been friendly, at least enough to trade,
>temporarily, on and off, soem tribes less hostiel tha others, etc etc.

The reason I asked the 'stupid' question is that you did say "Pavic citizens would have hated and feared the Praxians (IMO) and had as little as possible to do with them".