Re: A Load of Balls

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 20:43:30 GMT

> From dummy Wed Feb 29 12:12:12 1990

MOB:
> Thanks Nick, for pointing out that the standard Roman chariot axle length
> was no doubt based on the standard Roman horse's backside!

What a charmingly naïve vision of the standardisation process. ;-) It's not so much that all horses have arses of the same width, as that said process (see [1] Procrustes, [2] Bill Gates) produces a 'standard' which is 'based on' the thing being standardised in some largely subliminal sense...

ObGlorantha: do we still have 'key miles' these days? What is the new game going to use, by way of "standard" (see disclamator remarks above...) units of measurement?

Cheers,
Alex.