Place Names

From: Dom Twist <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 11:33:50 -0000

Eric R>
>So, what you're really saying is that real world place names make
>sense. King of Prussia, PA, Lebanon, OR, Chevy Chase, MD, etc.>
>
>I find Glorathan names no more silly than RW ones. Please defend your
>thesis now.

Hmmm If you're going to use real world place names then kindly ignore any in the US or anywhere else where a bunch of uneducated semi-literate colonists sat down with a blank sheet of paper and ignored Hell out of what the locals called the place. After all these arnt 'real' place names but ones that were chosen arbitarily only a few generations back. Of course if you have the Lunars or some other powerfull force running around re-naming places then go for it.

You do get a lot of very weird place names where I live for example...because the English language was dumped on top of the existing Celtic/Cornish language fairly recently.

My local village is called 'Blackwater' 'cos there used to be a large blackish pond..now a large reed bed 'cos the current owner (me) doesnt drain it.......whereas I live in Carnhot Carn from Cornish for Hill and Hot from a bastardisation of some Cornish word long forgotton.

Dont ask me to explain Praze-an-Beeble (a nearby village) cos I cant.....(Prayer and Bibel? who knowes!)

DomT

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #219