Orlanthi cultural words

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:57:32 +1300

Tadaaki Kakegawa:

> 1. What accurately do these words mean?

> -- weregild

Weregild is "blood money" which the killer pays to their victim's kin to atone for their crime. The killer need not offer it (if he feels strong enough to withstand the wrath of the victim's kin) and the kindred need not accept it (if they want to see the killer dead someday). If it isn't taken up, then a feud often develops.

> -- housecarl (or huscarl?)
> -- weaponthane

These are fulltime warriors in the service of the clan chief. They have better armour, weapons and magic than the average Orlanthi fighter. There's no difference between a housecarl/huscarl and a weaponthane.

> -- fyrd

The clan warriors as a whole.

> -- feud

A feud is, well, a cold war between two clans. It can flare up into open fighting but is often noted by the tit-for-tat killings of opposing clan members. Land of Ninja offers _fukushu_ as the japanese equivalent.

> -- kinstrife

Feuding with your kin. This is a _very_ bad thing to do in Orlanthi society as kinship is the basic axiom of their universe. Doing it causes Chaos to re-enter _your_ world again.

For an example, the Sartarites often point to Prax. There people worship Waha, Orlanth's nephew. But Waha does not respect this kinship tie and raids his uncle's lands mercilessly. As a result, his own land is plagued by chaos.

> -- clan (or tribal) champion

Normally the chief but on occasions (well quite often), others can be the champion if they are better than the chief.

> -- godi
> -- god-talker

These are augurs and soothsayers, so-called because they can hear the gods in their spells.

> -- law-speaker

A person charged with remembering the previous judgements of the clan.

> 2. What are difference between "tula" and "stead"?

A stead is a farm with only a single house while a tula is where many steads are. Most clans only have one tula.

> 5. How orlanthi live in the stead? How many families does belong
> to a stead? How often weponthane patrol visit? How they farmers
> defend themselves from dangers of wilderness (chaos/bandit/raid)?

The best answer to these questions can be found in the Riskland campaign in Dorastor: Land of Doom.

> 5. Keeps (Runegate , Jalorar etc.) has owner clan ? or Royal House
> kept it?

The Runegate Fort was originally owned by the Hyaloring Triarty and now is a keep within the Colymar Tribe after the latter absorbed the Hyalorings.

The Royal House built Jarolar keep but I think it's controlled by the Lunars now.