Gone with the Wind

From: Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:03:25 +0100

>> How do creatures and things fly in (above) Glorantha ?

Weihe, David (267)
>You are assuming that RW conditions apply to a place
>where magic is as real as a brick wall. Inappropriate.

No, I want to know Gloranthan conditions explained with RW terms. Something like "A Godlearners study of flight" or "What the Priest says about flight" or a parallel to "Rivers flows toward the sea at the call of Magasta to fill the Void". I like Glorantha for its coherent weirdness and I would like to know the mythics explanations of flight for Chaos, Moon, Storm, etc. It matters IMG because I try to use references to myths when describing situations and I favor players doing so. Also it is interesting to know if a creature fly by magic or not because it will not behave or be affected by some spell in the same way.

Peter Metcalfe (267)
>>the Red Moon (it is in Middle Air, how does it stay there ?)
>It's levitating.

Is levitation a Moon power ?
Does the Blue Moon also has it ?
Could Red Moon worshippers levitate ?

>>the Crimson Bat
>It's chaotic.

Does Chaos's flight come from stolen power or is it "not affected by gravity" ?

>>Dragons
>>Wyrms
>Draconic mysteries.

Illuminated enough to be able to perceive the illusion of gravity ?

>>Griffins
>>Wind chidren
>>Giant birds
>>Giant insects
>Wings (so what if it's impossible by Terran standards?).
OK. I'm still wondering on the origin of wings and how they make flight possible.
Would a strong human fly with well imitated Wind children's wing ?

>>Moon boats
>They fly upon the Lunar Energies that emanate from the Red Moon.
Could you remind me of links to descriptions of Moon boats ?

>>Leonardo's flying machine
>Science.

Not by RW standards. Some magic must be involved somewhere. I don't like the idea RW inventions working in Glorantha. It gets PC out of controls really fast. Make black powder is usually the first try. The nastiest attempt I had to squash was "make a marketing study of entertainments and open an inn".

>>(Boggles ?)
>Never studied the Law of Gravity and so remain in ignorance
>of its principles.

I love that one very much. It reminds me TOONS and of Roadrunner going into tunnels painted by Coyote. Is there a Trickster myth with this trick ?

>>Related question : Why do things fall if you drop them ?
>>It can't be only Earth related since it works also above bottomless
>>ocean and maybe on other Planes.

>Gravity pulls all things, not things directly beneath them.
>Thus even if one is suspended above Magasta's Pool, one
>still feels the downward pull of Genertela, Pamaltela,
>Luathaela and Vithela.

OK but why ?
Is it related to Law ?
Is the origin at Earth separation from Water, sooner, later ?

Cheers, Hervé

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #268