Re: KoDP patch ? KODP Renoovrs!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_cgi.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:36:08 -0500

The patch is available on the www.a-sharp.com/KODP webiste, or that is where I got mine.

> One KoDP question: is there a standard tariff for different types of
> gifts/favours ? - just sending 40 or 50 food as a gift seems to have no
> effect on most clans and given that at least in the early part of the game
> you can generally trade a few horses for a LOT of food or goods I've no idea
> how many horses would equal one favour.

They are worth different things. Roughly 4 Cows = 4 Goods = 1 horse = 8+ food. You were giving them cheap gifts, you skinflint! And generosity is a virtue. Give them 80+ food and they are much happier. I often give 6-8 horses and that seems to work out well... Ending a feud or two in the first few months can save your clan a lot of trouble.

> However on repeated clan random events my current clan has definitely
> produced 4 ugly Orlanthi in search of a bribe up to 1351 (we're obviously
> not called the Squat Oaks for nothing - or is there something in the tula
> water supply...) and I definitely didn't save/restore once so that's not the
> explanation - and that's not a helpful suggestion anyway as at least on my
> quite high-spec laptop I've been kicked out of KoDP with an illegal
> operation error and lost everything a couple of times now.

His stuck with the destiny of "Born to have a miserable life." Not everyone has a happy ending. But at least there's hope for poor ol'Thagdart...

> I am also not sure that having temples helps much in breeding more nobles
> for that deity - I've had an Elmali clan which started out with a full
> temple which was quickly upgraded to great but which had no Elmali nobles to
> begin with and produced no new ones for 30-odd years, while my current
> Orlanthi war clan has been going for 20+ years with only an Ernalda shrine
> but has added 4 new Ernaldan nobles to the 3 I started with (serves me right
> for complaining about not having any in my previous clan)

I find that, once one has a tribe in place, sacrificing for Heroes in Sacred Time helps, especially if makes sacrifices to that deity in the following (and preceeding?) year. This is the best way to ramp up those depleted and aging ranks of nobles. And, if one sacrifices to the max, I find that one often gets some pretty tough youngsters. And they get better with age.

I ended up with an incredible number of Vingans at one point. No worries. You *can't* have too many redheads! Kallyr is a wonderful young hero.

I think that one also gains nobles over the course of time, especially if one sacrifices for Children Magic (esp in those years where it says 'children born this year have great destinies) but I have found that using the Heroes is good, particularly if your Ring is insisting on it (you're understaffed or aging badly).

But sometimes, you get a 'bad draw' I'm currently playing an Orlanthi Clan that, for some bizarre reason has no competent Orlanthi OR Ernaldi leaders (some good magicians but no one with leadership worth mentioning). The long suffering Vorkosigan Clan labours under the benign bookishness of Saronil (!) the Lankhor Mhy. Very odd but... we're persevering.

> Still - great game...
>
> ROGER
I agree. Its FINALLY available in Canada so I can stop using my Beta Test version at last.

Jeff Kyer