Re: Parloth

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:04:43 +0100

Peter:

> >A foreign deity would probably usually end up in the
> >antigod camp,
>
> Are there any foreign gods who are considered Parloth or
> gods in the Vithelan sense?

I don't know of any specific case, but I'm not prepared to declare it impossible either.

> If not, then the Vithelans
> should not believe that worship of the Parloth is
> ordinary theism. They would view it as antigod worship
> instead.

So, are you saying that the Parloth are mystic entities and the Adpara are not, or that the Adpara include a number of different classes of entities, including the foreign theist and animist gods and great spirits (and failed mystic entities as well)?

> >I also think it is possible that some deities which
> >are worshipped in the east are the same as deities
> >worshipped elsewhere, under other names.
>
> That's what the God Learner would say. But the Vithelan
> should not see things that way.

If an sailor from the East Isles discussed gods with a Genertelan counterpart who pointed to the pole star and said "that's my god Polaris", I think the East Islander would say "material entanglements (or antigod tricks) have led you astray so that you have his name and history wrong, that is Kendarimin, the Sage, but they are the same, just come to [island X] and learn the truth". That's what I meant.

Nils Weinander

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com