Re: Barbarian Words

From: david.boatright_at_clinisis.co.uk
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:30:20 -0000

>I think this is pretty much all correct: apart from the implication
>that 'weaponthane' is simply 'competent warriors': as others have
>pointed out, KoDP and the clan-gen from (draft) HW have informed us
>that in these contexts, it's used to mean the 'full-time' or
>'professional' warriors of a clan.

I always got the impression from KoS and some other sources that weapon thanes, stayed at their own steads and are responsible for training and officering the fyrd and advising the chieftain on military matters. Where as housecarls performed guard duties at the chieftains stead and enforced his will.