Canal Logistics

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:15:02 +1100

G'day,

Canal Logistics

Gian asks for help with a question about canals:

>I have a logistical question for you.
>
>In Prax, my Etyries character wants to establish a new Lunar/Lokarnos
>market near SunTown in Sun County.
>
>He is ambitious and he wants to dig a canal from the river
>(not the ZolaFel, but the serpent which flows close to SunDomeTemple)
>up to SunTown.
>
>I told him it's a Pharaonic plan which requires millions of Lunars
>(guilders), slaves, political and religious agreements and the like.
>I was optimistic: I told him that in three years he could have the
>canal dug out.

My best advice is go read the "River Ritual of Sun County" in SUN COUNTY. Assuming you don't have the magical/material resources to tame/defeat/enslave/destroy the local river spirits (like the Lunars/Dara Happans have done back in Peloria), you've gotta make deals with them. This is what the Sun Domers did with Kinope and her father Zola Fel; as a result, they have cooperation with the river and are allowed to construct irrigation channels, etc. Do it without the spirits on your side, and you'll be fighting the river all the way with no guarantee of success ("heck, I thought water was supposed to flow *down-hill*").

But this ain't gonna happen in Sun County without convincing the local authorities too! The Lokarnos cult has a lock on all (legitimate) trade in Sun County, and I can't see them allowing the Etyries cult muscle in without some pretty heavy inducements.

>I think that gnomes/undines could speed up the opera.

Sure, but if you've got the Sun Domers on your side, and the Lunars backing you, why not rent the Watchdog of Corflu? (For extra devilment for your PCs, make it come up via Harpoon, where the jumpy targeteers will have a few pot shots at it, contrary to orders).

Cheers,

MOB

MICHAEL O'BRIEN
Department of Science and Mathematics Education The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052 Australia
           Email me : mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au
     MOB's Home Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/index.html
MOB's Glorantha Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/glorindex.html
 DOB Footy Scrapbook: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/dobfootycard.html