Monocosmogenesis

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 00:58:48 +1300

Terra Incognita:

>Vezkarvez: unknowable

The Vithelans would call him Durapdur while the Kralori call him 'Ouroburos'. The Malkioni would call him the Invisible God or the Hidden Mover and the Orlanthi describe it as the Silence (KoS p54).

>Katalyo: ultimate knowable

Known as the Vithelans as Atrilith, to the Kralori as the Cosmic Dragon and to the Malkioni as the Creator/ Prime Mover (in the role as maker of the cosmos) or the One Mind (as supreme entity reachable through the aplication of reason).

>Primoltus: light, cohesive power
>Derita: darkness, dissolving power

These are the Twins Mostal and Uleria described in Wyrms Footprints p34. The Vithelans would call them Malajan and Erdires, the first lovers, and claim that with them was Oorduren the first Master Sage (a solo lover one presumes). I wouldn't take the light/dark schtick too seriously as that's a Pelorian interpretation of what these transcendant entities are.

In the God Learner cosmology, the Twins first worked alone and then joined forces creating Glorantha, the known world.

The Vithelans however deviate from the GL cosmology and say that the twins plus soloist went among their origins and created Vith and his two consorts, who then caused a further trio of high gods to come into being.*

Malkionism doesn't seem to have any tradition of twins, but it does have Malkion the Law who orders the True Beings (Zzabur etc) into existance. So he might be an analogue of the Vithelan Master Sage.

>Tareltara: meditation of light and darkness, revolving power

Another name for the goddess Glorantha. She's described a bit more fully on p56 of enclosure #1.

>Urtium: dance of light and darkness
>Ethelsora: Intercourse of light and darkness

"to assist in [Tareltara's] execution are Urtium and Ethelsora, the male and female aspects of creativity" Enclosure #1 p65. Connected with Vogmaradan and Uleria in the Entekosiad.

>Sedenya: mask of meditation, turner or change,

The Moon Goddess.

>Rashoran: (worldly?) illumination aspect, Vezkarvez aspect

She actually shows the way to Sedenyic power. She receives worship within Lunar rituals but I'm not aware of any preexisting  cult (unlike, say, Jernotius or Nysalor).

>Jernotius: West Peloria, Buddhism? In RW, Tareltara Aspect

She is actually another Sedenyic Sage although his method usually involves sitting on a mountain and avoiding the giants Ko and Char. The Buddhist parallel in glorantha is really Larn Hasamador, although this hasn't received much attention (and I don't even know where he live in the east isles or where his teaching is most popular).

>Nysalor (and Arkat): (very Popular in West and Central Genertela)
>illumination and Urtium (please think about Destruction which the
>two made) aspect, Gbaji

Nysalor is yet another Sedenyic Sage, although the method nowadays involves the study of cryptic riddles. His method could be considered flawed given that he failed to refute Arkat.

>Daruda: (Kralorela) humanistic draconism, light aspect of confucian in RW,
>IMO, dragoness has Ethelsora Aspect for their lifeforce

I'm not aware of any light aspect in Confucianism but I think the Darudists are closer to tibetans lamas rather than confucian scholars, mainly because Confucianism is a rationalist philosophy.

I suspect that there are six Darudist methods, one for each of the ancestral dragons: Spirit, Being, Silence, Secrets, Experience and Thought. Thus I don't think Pelorian terms are applicable.

>NyangMao: (Kralorela) taoism? in RW, Derita Aspect for their Hermitness

NiangMao is actually Jainist rather than Taoism and he sought to reach the Void (as per cults of terror) which was his understanding of Vezkarvez etc.

>Metsyla: (Old Vithelan Region) dark aspect of confucian? in RW,
>Primoltus Aspect

Metsyla could be said to suffer from the same flaw as Nysalor and so was drowned. His seventeen steps to enlightenment is still popular in Kralorela although everybody there knows that the Niangmaoists and the Darudists are much wiser.

>Mashunasan: (Now Eastern Isles) I don't have read my stock of Eastern
>Mythology yet.

The RW model for Mashunasan is Yoga as ordained by Patanjali.

>of course, Minor aspect to Mystery connected to almost every Deities: (FREX,
>Orlanth Lightbringer, Bijiif Yelm, Daliath, Subere, Celestial Court, Et
>Cetera)

Greg said that every religion or every god with doubled runes has some linkage to mystery.

*since there's nine Avanparloth plus Atrilith, a God Learner would probably claim that the Vithelans have screwed up the twins myth with the making of the Celesital Court (ten members in Dara Happa, eight in Orlanthi, nine in mostali etc).

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #345