Re: RQ/HW

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 13:18:03 EST

Martin Laurie:

<< It is perfectly possible in the system to have the entire party play
politicians with masteries in Machiavellian Intrigue, Bribe, Oratory etc. and see the same amount of dice rolling as a combat game. >>

     What a truly horrible thought... Fortunately for those with my tastes in gaming, its equally possible to run such a game *without* all the dice rolling, although, admittedly, which particular system you happen to be (not) using does become somewhat irrelevant at that point.

<< This was a nightmare to do in RQ. >>

     Oh, not really, I'm sure I found it just as easy to not use the RQ rules as I'd find it to not use the HW ones ;-)

Brian Maloney:

<<From what I've seen, HW will be nothing but a mine for Glorantha
information. No way to play grubby Ducks scrabbling for clacks alongside grubbier Trollkin scrabbling for bolgs.>>

     I fail to see where anyone could get this idea from. It seems to me that HW is perfectly capable of handling this sort of game. Its true that its rarely used in the examples, and the scenario material seems (alas) likely to avoid this sort of thing too, but the game system can handle it perfectly, AFAICS.
<<This whole "heroic" thing leaves me pretty flat. BOOOOOOORING! >>

     Oh, me too; I think its a real pity that they chose to concentrate on the hero wars (the conflict, that is) rather than more entertaining material, but would it have pulled in the large audience required if they had? We'll never know. And I am still confident there *will* be plenty of non-heroic material (Anaxial's Record has stats for rubble runners, which are hardly intended as scary opponents for the likes of Onslaught, now are they?) just not, as I understand it, as the primary emphasis of the game.

<<I've seen games that allegedly scale between Jimmy Olsen and Darkseid.
Hell's Bells! I play such games. Guess what--they always invariably fall quite flat at the Jimmy Olsen level. Keeping the numbers sane at the Darkseid level means that the Jimmy Olsen level has a preposterously coarse granularity. >>

     Fortunately, HW is probably the first system ever published that avoids this problem successfully.

<< Likewise, I like having... lots of fine detail in combat >>

    Now there, you are out of luck -assuming you mean fine detail imposed by the rules system and dice rolls, RQ style.

<<I'm not interested in Xena the roleplaying game.>>

     Uurgh... two horrible thoughts in one day...

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #369