Hero Wars Cradle

From: Julian Lord <julianlord_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:38:05 +0100 (CET)

Keith Nellist:

> I have looked at nearly all the old stuff that I
> have and tried to imagine it using HW type stats
> [and], in the case of the Cradle, it would probably
> run *better* using HW.

I've run the Cradle in a very HeroQuesty/Hero Warsish way (ie rules for mass combat, heroic combat, magical contests between groups of magicians, etc), and my conclusion is that while it does run better with HW-type paradigms, the scenario is *extremely* unbalanced. Actually, it's a good candidate for the all-time most unbalanced RPG scenario ever published award! (but we loves ya Greg ...)

My players managed to make a giant wave that carried the Cradle over the Lunar magic chain, and the rest of the scenario turned into a milk run. (Mainly because the Cradle's defense systems remained active, and "Garrath" stayed on board. Ouch!)

Although an ordinary RQ scenario would definitely run well with HW roolz, and so would a HQ written for RQ, the Cradle scenario doesn't take into account (and how could it!) exactly what powers and abilities the PCs and NPCs would have in HW. Much of the high-level action needs to be simulated, not just described. All of the major NPCs need heavy rewriting/adjustment and the Lunar tactics need complete re-writing, ideally according to whatever's contained in She Guards Us! (SGU!). Oh, and the presence of Lunar Coders is desirable.

The scenario is actually loads of fun, and basically well planned. This makes up for most of its imbalances, and if you don't mind a little extra GM preparation, it's definitely workable, and an excellent starting course to shift your paradigms from RQ to HW.

cheers

Julian Lord

Do You Yahoo!?
Achetez, vendez! _at_ votre prix! Sur http://encheres.yahoo.fr