Kralori state

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:38:13 +0800

>> No, a levy is enforced much the same as taxes (in fact, often
>>became interchangeable with taxes).
>
>And are taxpayers part of the state apparatus? No.
	For the time in which they are working on state projects, yes.
	The 'size' of the state is partly measured in terms of how much
manpower it can mobilise. Obviously, the Kralori state can mobilise a fair bit. Whether this is a part time levy, or a smaller number of full time workers, isn't necessarily relevent.

>What is the point
>of this semantic obscurantism?

        I have no idea.

>You had stated that "But [the Kralori] do, for example, sack
>cities for not paying their taxes on time." as an example of the
>Kralori do not rule by Goodwill. I have demonstrated amply that
>Sha Ming was sacked in the last two occasions for rebelling and
>not because it wasn't paying its taxes on time.

        But being sacked for rebelling isn't ruling by Goodwill either. Its ruling with an army.

        I think it was probably sacked on occasions other than when occupied by Sheng, anyway, 'several' being more than 'two'.

        Frankly, I think if your interpretation was intended, the description would say 'Sha Ming has rebelled in the past and the emperors armies have sacked the city twice', rebelling not being quite the same as non-payment of taxes and several being more than twice.

>>>[Immanent Mastery is more than a thoughtcrime because it
>>>causes] the practitioner to manifest draconic attributes.
>
>> Which is a crime because...?
>
>Premature manifestation of draconic attributes is a strong sign
>that you are abusing your cosmic powers for material gain.

        So, the Kralori see the POIM as only a path to material gain, and do not accept that the average member sees it as a religious path? Even mistakenly? Curious.

	Cheers
		David