Digestible...

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_cgi.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:12:31 -0500

> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:36:41 GMT
> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
> Subject: Re: Hero wars lists
>
> Theo Posselt:
> > The 'other list' at eGroups.com doesn't demand private information,
> > but it also isn't a digest - I get a separate email for each message.
> > Much messiness. Is there any way we can Digest it?
>
> Only if the outgoing email gets sent somewhere capable of, and willing
> to, do the Digesting, which sort of defeats the purpose of having the
> list on one of those freebie wen thingies, in the first place.

Actually, Onelist does have a digest format. You have to register there and simply have the format changed. There is also a 'web only' format that lets you read the material on a webpage.

Its automatic, ectually.

> Digests are Silly. I hate Digests, me. The only thing that makes
> Digests bearable is undigesting. So there.

I'm not a big fan of digests in arenas where I have a lot of interest and there is a high traffic area -- it limits my ability to /kill incoming mail on topics that don't interest or people that dont interest or... reply more leisurly to topics I prefer.

> OTOH, mailing lists in with your normal traffic in indeed very messy:
> so why not use mail-filtering, which does everything, from a receiver's
> POV that Digesting does, only better.

I agree. Or, most modern sites (or anyone using majordomo software) can send out the material in a digest format automatically -- at the person's own insitgation.