Re: Feminism in KoDP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:10:08 -0800

Jose Ramos wrote

> When playing with a female tribal king (a Vingan) in KoDP, I have
> found that you are unable to resolve the warring tribes event (where you
> should make peace between them, ideally by building a town). Both tribes
> agree to come to my sacred hill, they don't, and next year the war starts
> again.
>
> I suppose it is a "defence mechanism" to avoid entering the kingmaking
> step of the game when the king is a queen, but it rises several questions.
> If kinghood is decided by marriage to the Feathered Horse Queen, evidently
> there will be only Kings.

I'm sorry you had bad luck, but it was absolutely a design goal from day one to allow women to win the game. It is quite possible to become Queen of Dragon Pass.

Without giving too much away, you still have to make a political alliance with the Horse-Spawn.

(In fact, the first time I won the long game, my wife was Queen of Dragon Pass.)

> What possibilities does a powerful woman have? Is she bound to the
> responsive Earth path, even if she is a role-breaker, such as Kallyr? Or
> was Kallyr bound to fail, as she cannot fulfill the role that she wants
> to?

I believe people have won with Kallyr as Queen of Dragon Pass (different Kallyr than you're talking about, I suspect).

> And tying it up, Vinga is the refuge of lesbian women among the
> orlanthi, I suppose, and I suppose there are some rituals to assume more
> or less masculine roles, as she has both a feminine and masculine side.
> Returning to KoDP, I liked the reversion of seduction in the Orlanth and
> Aroka HQ when a woman performs the quest. Could she seduce the Dark Woman
> too? Or leaving her with child is so mythically necessary than to have a
> chance of success she should first have got the necessary equipment
> (Eurmal could be a possible source).

I don't think Vinga has anything to do with lesbian women; certainly she doesn't as presented in KoDP, where she seduces Gagarth but not the Dark Woman.

> Finally, I wonder if this has something to do with those rubble
> runners that refuse to disappear, unlike my other games...

Again, you must be having bad luck (chances are you're also playing on a more difficult setting than before?).

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_a-sharp.com
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.