Dragonewt and Uz Eatings

From: Julian Lord <julianlord_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:18:42 +0100 (CET)

Me :

>> That is, their Denial powers would be closely
>> linked with their Devouring abilities : Dragonewts
>> seek to distance themselves from the World by
>> Eating it all up.

Andrew Raphael :

> This sounds way too trollish to be true of normal
> dragonewts, but I can't argue with it being true for
> dinosaurs and apostate dragonewts.

Hm. Well, that's the obvious counter blow.

Actually, I think there's a difference in nature between Uz Eating and Dragonewt Mystic Devouring.

Eating

When a troll Eats something, it's an act of transformation ; the thing no longer exists, but there is something else in its stead (don't ask !!).

The stomachs of a troll resemble an alchemical furnace, if you will, rather than a mystic Void.

Devouring

From the dragonewt POV that I propose, it is believed that Glorantha (or more accurately : Ourobouros) is Herself a Failed Mystic/Dragon, and that all non-draconic matter that she contains is inherently flawed substance ; but it can be spiritually refined through regeneration, expurgation, and other practices of draconic mysticism. The Ultimate Goal of dragonewt mysticism is to become One with the Void that is Ourobouros, in the Heart of Chaos, in the Outside of Existence. To acheive this, Ourobouros (and the dragonewts) must Devour the World.

Basically, the dragonewts believe that Glorantha is made of Mystic DragonShit. They see little difference (from this POV) between eating raw potato, boeuf bourguignon, tiramisy, sauerkraut, lihasoppa, tortilla de patatas, or one's own faeces. The difference that there is, lies in their own Mystic relationship with any one particular substance, as the Manifestation of their own blindnesses.

Except for a trivially manifest matter of taste, it's all dragonshit anyway.

Andreas Gustafsson :

> While trying to keep this pretty way of living like
> mystic I'm beginning to think along the lines of
> introducing some Uz mystics IMG. Have anyone any
> thoughts about Uz as mystics?

Not in mainstream Uz culture. The Uz are (basically) a most material race, and they depend on their physicality to define themselves, their culture, their goddess, and to simply survive in Glorantha.

But there *is* a kind of mysticism that exists in Uz shamanism.

Also through the 'cult' of Subere ; in this tradition, the troll seeks to Become One with the Heart of Darkness. This is very fearsome mysticism.

But remember, *every* large Gloranthan religion is going to have *some* kind of 'mystic' philosophy attached to it ; simply because these religions have some kind of immanency and/or transcendance that is central to their existence and their nature.

These mysticisms should only be confused with HW 'Mysticism', and more to the point with Eastern Gloranthan Mysticism, provided some care is taken not to ruin the particularities of these 'proper' mysticisms.

>phew!<

> BTW, Maybe the dragonnewts are really eating the
> world, but not in the material sense?

A perceptive question !

But the answer(s) is (are) probably transcendant : from their draconic POV, 'material' and 'immaterial' are (ideally) a nonsensical distinction that only confuses those minds that cannot unfocus from the Manifest (Mindshit). Liberation from (Transcendance of) this confusion is also known as Dragon Magic.

Julian Lord

Do You Yahoo!?
Achetez, vendez! _at_ votre prix! Sur http://encheres.yahoo.fr