Talor and Harmast

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 23:36:49 +1200

Terra Incognita:

>I think Talor (he was once dead as Arkat, rescued by lightbringer quest)
>was once friend of Harmast, and betrayed this alligiance as Arkat did, (or
>more worsely broke friendship and killed Harmast!)

AFAIK Talor has not been killed. He was in the Underworld but Harmast is stated not to have succeeded so well on this quest which makes me think that he did not encounter Talor at the Halls of the Dead and Greg has an obscure mention about the meeting at the "crossroad".

Harmast gave Talor the keys to Castle Kartolin whereupon Talor managed to capture it. Harmast did not die from this encounter but went on to the Sky Giant's Castle according to the Runequest Companion. There's no record of Harmast and Talor ever meeting again.

>I cannot harmonize
>Talor's crazy laughing image to feudal courtesy of Europian Knightship.

This is for a number of reasons:

  1. Talor laughing his head off and other stories about his insanity come from the God Learners who didn't understand him. These stories are not lies, they are coloured impressions as the God Learners believed he was like that.
  2. Loskalmi Knights are more militaristic and more into organized religion than Roland or the Arthurian Knights. A better parallel would be the religious fighting orders such as the Knights Hospitaller or the Knights Teutonic.
  3. Talor may have felt Joy to be of more importance to being a knight (which is a spiritual path in Malkionism) than adherence to mere chivalric codes. Thus he might have not bothered with chivalry leading to even more God Learner stories of Talor the Mad which are in turn rejected or redacted by the Loskalmi trying to prove that Talor was in fact chivalrous.
    • --Peter Metcalfe