Re: Influence Magic

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 02:47:14 +0100 (BST)

Lowell Francis:
> In "Cults of Prax" the Journal of Biturian Varosh presents his encounter
> with a Lunar Priestess of Eyteries. He speaks with her, she begins to
> cast influence magic and eventually he realizes it and attempts to avoid
> it. He is angry at this and obviously isn't prepared for it, even though
> she is a priestess of a trading cult. That seems odd given that Biturian
> is presented as a follower of Issaries and a man of the world.

One thought that occurs is that it's not so much that such magic is 'wrong' per se, but that he, a _Golden Tongue_ ferhevnsakes, is being treated like a 'punter'. The sheer affrontery of it! Compare and contrast the etiquettes and habits of con-men using each other as marks, traders quoting 'retail' deals at each other, or Big Name Gloranfans pulling 'Nearer My Greg Than Thee' stunts on each other...

Cheers,
Alex.