My Proxy is a generalisation of your Proxy...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 22:54:18 +0100 (BST)

> Martin writes:
> > BTW, I do not believe the Emperor Proxies are necessarily all alike in
> > appearance.

Nick:
> I cannot see how this would lead to interesting and amusing game situations,
> so I will ignore it. I can see how having hordes of Elvis impersonators in
> and around Moonson's Palace naturally generates scenario ideas and MGF, so I
> will continue to use them. YGMV. (And, if you like Martin's material, it
> probably will).

Since Martin's comment is merely as strict generalisation of your prefered situation (he did, after all, say 'not necessarily', not 'necessarily not'), then I vote he wins this round of mystical oneupmanship. Much as the Hilter's doubles/Elvis impersonators appeals to me, (been playing Theme Hospital lately, so very much so, in fact) I can also see amusing game situations in a player (in a suitably high-level game), or a pre-existing NPC being 'proxied', without having to go around in a rubber mask for the duration.

Hence, I plan on using both (given half a chance). My working model for a 'Proxy' is 'that thing the Emperor is pointing at when he pronounces the word "Proxy"'...

Cheers,
Alex.