To Greg or not to Greg

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:02:13 GMT

I have a temporary connection so I can de-lurk for a couple of days.

I do not want to put my nose in the argument between the GD gents about the current course of Glorantha (HW, RM et cetera). Not because I don't bother or because I don't want to argue with anyone. Simply because I didn't follow the whole Gloranthan Authors saga.

I'd like simply to tell you my "story" and impressions.
>From a customer's POV.

I met RQ3 in 1988 under the AHill management and bought many books from Stratelibri. I was struck by the rules primarily (the RQ3 set of rules was good and I already knew CoC, so I wished to play in another Chaosium setting). _Later_ I was impressed by Glorantha (Generatela and Gods of G were my favourite).
The real love began with Borderlands, an out of print boxed set of RQ2. In the following years I bought other books and some fanzines (TotRM primarily) but essentially I based much of the campaign on my _own_ work because I felt _encouraged_ to do so from the style of Glorantha!!!

I blamed the lack of printing but, to say the truth, I always owned more material than I needed. What I loved (and still love) in Glorantha is his richness, open-minded attitude, his cultural perspective and fantasy-realism.
I think that (after playing D&D, CoC, MSH and other games) the best thing for a GameMaster/Narrator/Referee in Glorantha is the sense of freedom it communicates. I would hate the adventure-modules in the D&D style where the GM has simply to read aloud, throw dices and choose the spells to cast.

I feel encouraged to create and to be an author by the essence of Glorantha and I suspect that this was Greg's goal.

I have played for 12 years and I still feel that I could play for another 120 before exahusting the complexity and greatness of Glorantha. Why? Because Greg is an incomparable genius? I don't think so (sorry Greg, you may be a genius, I don't know: but I don't love Glorantha for that reason).
I think that the reason-why Glorantha is Glorantha is that the ultimate author are _myself and my friends_ and nothing which is written, canon or discussed and debated in the GD, helpful as it may be, could force me to adopt an idea I don't like (much like the Orlanthi laws, eh?).

We all wish for consistent/playable works, as customers. But as authors we are going to hate anything written by anyone else, or maybe by ourselves 5 years ago. The Glorantha Encyclopedia is a contradiction in terms and so we like it.

Equally we should not deny to others the right to be authors. Greg is the first but not the only author, I think. The RM boys are great authors but not the only ones. Martin Laurie is the author of SGU and that's all. He is not the Source of Everything Lunar.

I as a customer could buy TotRM and SGU, find them incompatible and think that this is a challenge: if I like both, to me is left the work to make them compatible. If I like only one I can discard the other source. If I like neither one, I can work out myself my Lunar Empire. e.g. I told that the Muslim parallel tickles me now, so I could use RW history as a source. Who would say that mine is not The Glorantha? And if he says, so what?

As a customer again, I am supposed to receive from the same source not contradictory material, but I stress here: _from the same source_. If I find that (for instance) SGU and TotRM are incompatible I should not cry "Scandal!", but I could choose (it's my right as a customer and the editors should be aware of that) to leave the Trademarked-Glorantha because it's "too incohesive". I have felt this temptation many times. In the end, if HW is going to be a mass-market game, incohesiveness is bad. The editors are trying to fix the contradictions, I suspect, in order to make the whole game more sellable. This I would do if I were in their shoes, at least.

Perhaps we should ask ourselves if we want to help Glorantha, and I say: leave arguments and contradictions aside, learn tolerance before criticism. Or if we want to help ourselves, our private Glorantha and our own vision: in this case arguments and debates will be endless...

Ok: I have tried to express my ideas. The result is not great, I am afraid. Be patient with me ;-)
Feel free to ask for any explanation.

Ciao
Gianfranco