Re: Interregnum

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 00:09:11 +0100 (BST)

I'm a touch disappointed, too, Nick, that your summary of Martin's position proved so accurate. (Outflanking in a philosophical debate being when you accept the consequent of your opponent's reductio ad absurdum...) I'll ignore that for now, at least, in the hopes that your own scenario, or variations thereon, will provoke a response that's ultimately more 'GA'.

> (1) In my view, when a Mask of Moonson dies, Moonson's parts fly apart --
> like those of Yelm or Murharzarm. In the "interregnum" (which lasts a
> minimum of seven weeks) before a new Mask passes the Tests and is acclaimed
> in Glamour, Takenegi's Self is *somewhere else* (perhaps on the Red Moon,
> perhaps not?).

Indeed. How many of those Parts eventually get reassembled at all I think is a variable, witness the very first post-Sheng return. ("Hey, towo out of 6 ain't bad." (Or out of 7, I dunno...)) And each Part itself is surely to an extent a matter of degree: If someone has a high, but not complete degree of success in 'heroforming' (or otherwise self-identifying with) Moonson's Snake (or whatever), and that's the best that's currently available, I say, step right up there, young man...

> (2) At the same time and in the mundane world, there is a search to find
> those persons with what we have called the Mandate of the Moon, who might be
> suitable to serve as the Body for the next Mask.

I prefer to not emphasise this aspect greatly. Basically, I think one has the Parts of the Old Mask (or parts of the Parts, or bing-bong, Sorry, that part is Unavailable, depending on how Dire things are...), the existing Egi, mortal and immortal, and a frenzied campaign to 'recruit' enough Egi to make up the numbers, and provide a 'good solid basis' for the next Mask. Naturally, some of these will be More Equal Than Others, and I do like the idea of the occassional, or at least possible, highly messy interregna characterised by magical, political, or just plain cosmically whacked-out groupings being led by self-opinionated types who think they have a 'valuable and unique role to play' in forming the next Mask, and has been busily stitching things up to ensure that's the case. For example, he may have been busily self-identifying with this or that Part, offing Proxies, and otherwise 'helping the Egi ritual get off to a running start'. Equally, I think it's _also_ possible that a neat, relatively un-dis-orderly transition can occur, with a bunch of 'fresh Egi meet' being assembled to order, lacking such a rugged individualist. (Perhaps this corresponds to the cases where his Parts are less unwell than the others.)

> (3) It may well be, as Joerg suggested (V7#592, Singularity of Moonson),
> that some candidates "appear" from the Other Side during rituals to fill the
> role of Red Emperor, as happens in other known Lunar cases (Jar-eel v.
> Belintar, ambush of Kallyr's SLBQ). There is no reason why this should
> happen only once in each interregnum, IMO, and no reason why its mere
> occurrence should lead to instant recognition of the jumped-up claimant as
> the One True Moonson Reborn.

I agree; "Your name's not on the list, you're not getting in." The forms would still have to be observed, at the least. (This happens _before_ the ritual of the Egi, I take it?)

> (4) I do not think it is the case that every institution in the Empire can
> infallibly detect the future Body of Moonson against all its rivals.

I'd shoot for none, personally.

> (5) I do not think it is the case that *only* the future Body of Moonson can
> overcome (and even "re-integrate") a Proxy relict of the previous Mask's.

Clearly. ("Go on, re-absorb this Proxy, O Candidate, I double-dare you." "Shan't." "G'wan..." "Obviously I could, but I don't wanna...")

> (6) In passing the various Tests, the Emperor is re-integrated.

I think I disagree with this one; I think the re-integration is substantially done in the Egi ritual, though I'd hope enough to leave some room for doubt. ("Oops, we seem to have got that wrong: let's try again!" "Those Egi are imposters -- seize them!") Naturally politics might intervene to delay this happening, as

> (7) Throughout the interregnal period, Moonson -- the singular Red
> Emperor -- does not exist in any integrated form. He is reintegrated when
> the new Mask is acclaimed, and not before. This happens at the end of the
> interregnum. In fact, it *defines* it.

I have to agree with Martin here: the being _does_ exist separate from the role(s), at least in some vague sense. It's a sense vague enough not to detain us greatly, mind you.

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #613