Gladiator

From: Oliver Bernuetz <oliver_bernuetz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 11:11:16 CDT

Hi all,

I too will give Gladiator a cautious thumbs up (sigh) and say it's worth seeing despite the historical inaccuracies. I'd say it does a pretty good job of depicting how grungy and brutal life was. The battle scene at the beginning was quite good and I thought the line the second in command uttered, "Don't these people know when they've been defeated?" has probably often been used by Lunar commanders when talking about the Orlanthi's.

I also commend them on resisting including any modern references or tag lines AND on not using anything from the Carmina Burana in the score. (If my friends were betting men I'd be out money because I was sure they would use something from it). Instead you get sort of a Dead Can Dance album since Lisa Gerrard does the vocalizing for the score.

On the down side it's too long (2 hours and forty minutes) and too expensive. Funny "action" movie because the whole audience was absolutely quite for the whole thing.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz