Re: Rape

From: Philip R. Hammar <jackal_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:29:47 -0400

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Subject: Rape
>
> Hmm, wonder what attitude the matriarchal Esrolians take towards rape.
> Even more forbidding than the Orlanthi, I'd bet.

    Or not. The women hold the power in Esrolia. It might be too embarrassing for her to admit that a mere male took advantage of her. I imagine she would see to his undoing by more private means*. A woman raping a man however, might be viewed in the same light in Esrolia as a man who rapes a woman in Orlanthi country. I suppose it depends on how far you want to conflate "matriarchy" and "gender role reversal."

            Later,
            Phil