Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #692

From: Manzato Claude <Claude.Manzato_at_at.siemens.fr>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:24:54 +0200

> Any names in mind?
> I don't know what french games you're refering to.

Multimondes, The first translation of Pendragon by Gallimard? They were truly awaited by our group but disgusted everybody when released.

> All I can say is that complexity of the world is not a real problem I
> think, except for the "fans" who can see it as an issue
> (afraid that people
> may not play in the "right" Glorantha?).

I was more thinking that complexity can sometimes be daunting for newcommers.

> Since french examples seem to be the rule, I'll talk about
> Agone : this new
> RPG (from Multisim) is really selling very well and is
> certainly the best
> success in french RPG lately. It is inspired from novels by
> Mathieu Gaborit
> and its setting called "the crepuscular kingdoms" (or the
> "Harmonde") is
> quite rich and complex.
> But many people like it a lot because there is so much to
> discover in it.
> Complexity is IMO not a big issue. You could as well say that
> what makes
> the interest of the game is what will make it fail.
> Most people like complexity, because that's what makes the
> interest last
> more than one game session.

Yes, a very good game. But the system is much more easy to grasp IMO.

> But for the "intuitivity" and the "layout" problems, well...
> I guess I have
> to agree.
> But I would phrase the "intuitivity" matter differently.

My thought was more like: not beginner-friendly. I run games for 15 years now but I asked myself many times reading the rules: now how will I handle this and that (knowing how players are able to pull off) and not finding easily an answer. Same thing for players. Mine did have some problems getting a grasp on what their characters could or couldn't do. We need to get used to it.

> of course I don't claim that Glorantha is easy to get for
> beginners and
> that HW rules are the most intuitive ever.
> I just mean that I don't feel in a position to judge whether
> the complexity
> of Glorantha or the originality of the rules will lower HW chances of
> success.
> It's so very difficult for us to imagine what "non-biased" people will
> think of HW.

I was thinking about what hooked me and the players I know to Glorantha and wondering: if I was to discover this world now beginning with HW, will I find the same strong points? And the answer is no, at last for me. But I hope to be wrong.

An easy and efficient game can attract to a complex world. An already popular world (film, books,general culture..) can attract even with a mediocre system.
But a chalenging game with a complex background and a poor presentation has a big challenge ahead.

Anyway, have a nice day in Bacharach!
Bye.