Re: Lunar Justice

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:40:58 +1000

MOONIE JUSTICE > Nick Eden asks:

> > Who would you put forwards as the Lunar God with an interest in
> > Justice?

I'm standing on the shoulders of giants here, having read Nick's and Peter's responses. Now if David Cake managed to instruct me properly, pulling it all together we get...

Yelm, for the harsh unyielding reality of Law.

The Red Goddess, for the Compassion that tempers law and renders it into justice.

Moonson, for Authority, Bureaucracy, Fear and Wonder, that translates justice into precedent, expedience, and naked opportunism.

Etyries, because justice has its price, and that price is negotiable.

Lunar Law, at heart Darra Happan, is based on absolute moral stricture and individual notions of duty, responsibility and privilege according to social status. Orlanthi law, by contrast, is based on the outcomes of actions and is communal, kin-based rather than individual. Orlanthi justice depends on a kin group's ability to act in solidarity when faced with challenge. (The Shout Loud and carry a Big Stick syndrome).

The Empire is big and opportunities for bribery are many. Local manifestations of justice, and the deities associated with them, will be many and diverse.

John
(His first Lunar post? Orlanthi biases still slightly visible)

nysalor_at_primus.com.au John Hughes johnp.hughes_at_dva.gov.au

The thing I came for:
the wreck and not the story of the wreck the thing itself and not the myth....
This is the place. We are, I am, you are carrying a knife, a camera / a book of myths in which / our names do not appear.
- - Adrienne Rich.