Re: Sorcery and Malkionism

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:31:01 +0200

Peter :

> > >[Malkioni] would most readily apply [Zzaburi] to the
> > >Brithini or the God Forgotten as those societies are
> > >dominated by Sorcerers.

??

> >The westerners believe that most societies (including pagan ones)
> >are dominated by 'sorcerers' (in foreign lands : by quite primitive
> >and/or delusional ones) IMO, including their own societies.
>
> Incorrect.

Disagree.

To start with, they believe that 'Worlath' and 'Ehilm' are sorcerors with many pagan slaves ...

> Priests, Shamans and Mystics are identified as
> being an inferior type of magician,

Precisely what I am saying myself.

> not as users of sorcery.

an inferior type of sorceror IMO

> Mainstream Malkioni are not dominated by sorcerers but by
> Wizards.

IMO, Malkioni Wizards use 'sorcery'. They are in fact 'sorcerors', and they dominate Malkioni society.

> > > The learned would be aware that the God Learners classified
> > > their magics as sorcerous but that is probably held to be
> > > a God Learner Error.
>
> >IMO, the learned are aware that they themselves use 'sorcery'.
>
> No. Sorcery is only one of the magics avaliable to the
> Malkioni. Most Malkioni use the veneration of Saints
> and get blessings - a practice condemned by the Brithini
> as an error. There may or may not be a third type: logic.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong ; unfortunately, I cannot prove it.

Oh well ...

The veneration of Saints is in fact a vulgar form of sorcery. IMO

The logical magic that you propose would also be 'sorcery' IMO.

> >They believe, in fact, that *all* magic is (or partakes of,
> >or comes from) 'sorcery'.
>
> All magic comes from God (although the Carmanians would
> qualify it as all _Good_ magic comes from God).

'God' and 'sorcery' (as long as one accepts that both exist) are consubstantiate entities IMO.

Carmanian sorcery is heretical and impure !

Burn them !! Burn them all !!!

> >However, a Brithini's answer to the question 'Do you believe that God
> >ultimately has human attributes?' would actually be 'God does not exist'
>
> The Brithini do believe that God exists. I commend to you
> the Brithini creation myth in ToTRM#13.

Perhaps I've been doing too much listening to Greg ...

His more recent descriptions of the Malkioni (notably at the last Convulsion, and at the GTA party at Tentacles this year) do not fully agree with the text in TotRM 13.

Furthermore, the revelation of the Sorcery Plane (as described in HW:RiG) flushes many of the old sorcery-related texts down the loo IMO.

Anyway, I do not believe (from what Greg has said) that orthodox Brithini believe in God. YGMV.

cheers,

Julian Lord