RE: Place names

From: T. Kurt Bond <tkb_at_tkb.mpl.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:25:30 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Metcalfe writes:
> Which places were you having trouble with (apart from Vithela
> and the Sky)?

Luckily when I got interested in Glorantha a couple of years ago I was able to find much of the Avalon Hill Glorantha products, so I've got _Glorantha: Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars_ to help me. I'm not a Glorantha expert, however, by any means.

Anyway, here some specific troubles I had with Ralios and the map on p. 59.

I can't find Karia, mentioned on p. 56, on the map on p. 59. (Maybe they couldn't fit a label in between the mountains?) Nor on the bottom edge of the map on p. 93, but maybe it's off that bottom edge a bit more than I expected?

I can't find Basim, Dangrim, or Tarasdal, mentioned on p. 57, on the map on p. 59. (The Dangrim Marsh on the maps on pp. 43 and 59 (at least it's consistent) was the Sodal Marsh on the Ralios maps in _Glorantha: Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars_, pp. 72 and 73.)

I can't find Uron on the map on p. 59, but I can't find it in the text offhand either.

I can't find Marost, mentioned on p. 56, on the map on p. 59. (It doesn't help that the Doskior River, mentioned in connection with Marost, isn't labeled on the map at all.)

Why is Halikiv, a subregion of the East Wilds, labeled in the same size and font as the East Wilds?

I can't find Corolaland, mentioned on p. 60 and 61, on the map on p. 59.

I can't find Guhan, mentioned on p. 60 in the "Five Famous Arkats" (and on pp. 179 and 180), on the map on p. 59.

I realize Ralios is probably difficult for a map this size, with all the small regions, but I'd rather have had the small areas labeled A, B, C, ... with a table of names off to one side than have the names left off.

I seem to remember I had problems with other maps as well. When I re-read it I'll take better notes on this sort of thing....

Still, even with these problems, I've found _Glorantha, Introduction to the Hero Wars_, to be very inspiring and *definitely* worth my time and money.

A brief note about my situation: I didn't really get interested in Glorantha until I found material about it several years ago on the Internet. Until then I'd simply never seen enough of it (or the right parts of it) to make any sense of it. (Central West Virginia, where I live, is not noted for its multitudes of gaming shops.) Once I became interested in it I was able to track down many of the Avalon Hill Glorantha products (mostly over the Internet; a very few in game stores) and even stumbled onto a copy of the RQ2 rules. Since then I've been aquiring the fan-produced materials as I've found them, including the reprint of _Pavis and Big Rubble_, and the new publications from Issaries.

Oh. After seeing the older Glorantha materials I decided to became a charter member of the GTA. I think it was defintely worthwhile. :-) - --
T. Kurt Bond, tkb_at_tkb.mpl.com