Re: And another thing....

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 00:25:42 +0100 (BST)

Michael Cule:
> One of my players is so disgusted with the lack of response by his clan
> to his rallying cry for them to join Starbrow's Rebellion that he has
> asked me if he can disavow them and leave the clan. What's the standard
> Orlanthi view on this? Can he? Does he have to do something weird and
> mythological? (I know about the Humakt rituals: he's an Orlanthi...)

In principle it's totally discretionary, I think. Unlike the Humakti biz, it doesn't directly help you 'resist call of kin', as it were, but that may be fairly academic, given the radical nature of the step. His next tasks would be a) not get killed, if the pissing-off has been mutual, and b) find another community to take him in, if not another clan, then a warband or whatever, to avoid a) in the longer term...

If he wants a mythological rationale, or a ritual to perform to add a bit of sting for the clan (banging the door loudly on his way out, as it were), I'm sure any myth where Orlanth disowns one of his kin for acting dishonorably would serve, whether or not Orlanth laves the clan, which seems a bit problematic. OTOH, there are bound to have been ancestral figures or local tradition religious heroes than have done such things...

Cheers,
Alex.