Blue Elf Hermaphrodites

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 17:08:22 EDT

Alex:

<< > [Blue elf isogamy] is certainly possible, although not quite the
interpretation I make of their description as 'hermaphrodites'.

  Prithee, do go on. ;-) I infer you mean that they'd have one sex, but two sorts of gametes, then? >>

      That's the usual meaning of hermaphrodite :-)
      There are many botanical instances of plants which are male and female
at different times of the year (i.e. their stamens mature faster than their stigmas, or vice versa), which is an alternative model to the usual animal hermaphrodite (such as snails). OTOH, it resembles some of the animal-based mermen rather too closely, IMO - given the 'intersex' associations of water in Glorantha, I think there ought to be some blatant hermaphrodites in the oceans somewhere.

<< (As do most familiar plants, of course; seaweed I admit I could do with some brushing up on...) >>

      Seaweed can be oogamous (e.g. kelp), isogamous, anisogamous or monoecious (botany-speak for hermaphrodite), which covers just about every option one could think of, really.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

      Trotsky