The Blind Men and the Elephant

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:58:07 -0700

snark reminds us of "The Parable of the Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe.

        Fair enough, but it doesn't really get at my point (whether I expressed my point clearly or not is, naturally, another question). There are many things in Glorantha that I don't need to see reconciled. Here are a few catagories:

  1. Too trivial: Every theistic culture that has baskets probably has a god or hero associated with basketry. Every one (or nearly so) no doubt claims to have created basket weaving. Now, this can't be true, objectively, but what does it matter? It makes some sort of mythical sense.
  2. Not trivial, but not much of an issue: Anaxial's flood supposedly covered the world. Other cultures don't record it, or record different floods. Is it untrue? Not at all. Anaxial's flood covered Anaxial's world; therefore it covered the world. A Heortling or Kralorian might dispute the story and mock the Pelorian who told it as vain and silly, but the story is mythically true.
  3. Can't be resolved: Arkat, Nysalor, and Gbaji - what the hell happened there? Who was good? Who was evil? What, exactly, did each of them do/try to do? Frankly, most of those in the know are dead or way beyond dead; this will remain a mystery, I suspect, forever. (Or the subject of more or less unsubstantiated theories). The secrets of the Godlearners and the EWF fall into the same category.
  4. Myths changed by Heroquesting: this is, I think, what happened to the Yelm/Emperor myth: these two cycles were separate at one time (both reflections of an unknowable original source) which were reconciled within history. Now they can't be teased apart; there is an "objective mythic truth." I imagine that it would be insanely risky to try to heroquest to one of the older myths.
  5. Provided by biased/misinformed sources: Jane Williams does a great job on her website of trying to make sense of the contradictory narratives about Agrath in KoS. She may or may not have the right answer (YGMV), but she identifies where the sources coontradict. Similarly, the several versions of the Hill of Gold, all told by different cults, can be seen to roughly dovetail together but are interpreted differently to fit different agendas.

        All of these fit the Blind Men and the Elephant model - you might describe it differently based on your position and outlook, but if you go further afield, you can also (possibly) appreciate the other points of view. I'm concerned more with Blind Men who feel a wall, a rope, etc and proclaim that they've found an elephant. I can see how Yelm and Kargzant can be the Sun (Theist vs Animist), or whoever/whatever the sun is in Pamaltela or Vithia (different Solar tribes, I suppose, or radically different understandings), but I'm still having trouble with Yelm and Elmal, especially since Elmal is from the Solar tribe originally - doesn't he know about Yelm? Or is he entirely part of the Orlanthi myth structure - from the evil Emperor's homeland, reconfigured to be a relative of Yelm's during the 1st Council?

Peter Larsen