sorcerous mystics

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:35:41 +0800

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> >If there such a thing [as sorcero-mysticism], I suspect the
>>Perfecti are it. Certainly they appear to be mystics of some
>>stripe, since they avoid the use of magic.
>
>The Zzaburites are also sorcerous mystics too as is stated in
>HW:RiG p218 "...[non-eastern] mystics include the Perfecti and
>the Zzaburites among westerners (being the perspectives of a
>personal and impersonal god respectively)..."

        I think of the Perfecti as being gnostic/cathar like, and the Zzaburites as being alchemists/hermetics. Their mysticism takes the form of a drive to self-transformation and reconciliation of natural opposites, etc.

        Some kabbalism is probably in the mix as well, which I see as one of the better models for how sorcerers look at the otherworld, but 'real' kabbalism is probably too religious for the Zzaburites (jewish kabbalist magic workers see themselves as a conduit for the divine power, not as imposing their own will). So kabbalism as adopted by the later, less religious, Western traditions such as the Golden Dawn and its descendants (including Crowley, etc) is probably a reasonable source of inspiration for the Zzaburites.

	Cheers
		David