Military stuff

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:07:06 +1300

Mikko Rintasaari:

> > the Empire has nearly 20,000 troops in the Pass in 1625.

>I find that 20,000 highly suspect. That's 10% of Sartars population,
>being fed on local labour?

It is backed up by Dragon Pass which gives the following figures for the Lunar order of battle which operates without any supply difficulties.

Imperial Bodyguard 6 regiments _at_ 500 men = 3,000 Heartland Corps 14 regiments _at_ 1000 men = 14,000

Cavalry Corps           13 regiments _at_ 500 men  =  7,500
Native Furthese  3 horse _at_ 500 men      =  1,500
                          7 foot _at_ 1000 men      =  7,000
                                                   ------
                                                   33,000

Even allowing for undersized regiments, that's still over 20,000 worth of troops. That's not all the troops that the Empire has as they have other fronts to worry about (namely the Redlands and Chargg).

In Pavis, the Lunars maintain 3 regiments to control about 50,000 humans in the area. Considering that the Sun Domers also maintain 800 templars, that's almost 10% again.

One has to remember that the River of Cradles and Sartar are still in a state of civil unrest. That alone accounts for the seemingly excessive numbers of troops there.

>Nonesense! The average lunar soldier is nowhere near a match for an
>orlanthi weaponthane.

Why not? They both train full-time.

>A single
>storm priest is easily the equal of several minor- or major college
>spellcasters.

On what grounds do you base this?