Children of war

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:12:44 +0200

:In my opinion (based on no real world or gloranthan knowlege whatever I
:may point out) I think the Orlanthi children, at least the older ones, do
:get involved in skirmishing. They run around with darts or light javelins
:and maybe slings on the edge of the conflict harasing enemies but not
:getting involved in toe to toe stuff (unless chased and caught by
:unscrupulous Lunars who would fight children). Probaly carry some
:lightish shield too and a knife or small cudgel just in case.
:
:Just my 1/2clacks worth - Chris

This is my view also. The orlanthi need skirmishers, in addition to their heavy infantry. The hunters of the clan (and tribe) support with bows, slings and javelins, and young boys (and vingans) harass the enemy with slings and darts.

The Greek hoplite armies had young boys doing much the same. Unarmored, they were too fast to catch by the enemy hoplites, and forced them to keep their shields high, tiring themselves (and skoring occasional kills and woundings)

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #169