Weapons

From: Dom Twist <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:45:00 -0000

>>In HW, Spear & Shield is said to be a common Heortling fighting style. = But=20
>>how do people fight with 1H-spear? I'm sure it must work but i can't = picture=20
>>this. How do you hold your spear? I've even tried with a wood shaft = but it=20
>>seems quite clumsy (note that i'm a poor fighter...)

Jerome

>It's actually remarkably easy. You hold the spear in the middle of
>it's length or so, and stab with it. Without a shield, it's a bit
>clumsy, and very hard to defend - best use two-handed if you've no
>shield, you can hold it further back and get better reach too
>(one-handed you only get about the same reach as a sword, but a spear
>is a hell of a lot cheaper...). But WITH a shield, you lead with the
>shield & shield shoulder, and stab past the edge of it, underhand or
>overhand. Overhand, you can throw it at a second's notice too (better
>have an alternative weapon though...).

Wulf

I agree totaly with Wulf.....with the following additional comments.

The Spear and Shield's man can find himself a little at disadvantage = against, say, Sword and Shield because his primary weapon is vunerable = to being batted aside or even chopped up.....IN ONE ON ONE combat. = However when the shield wall forms the oposite is true. In a close = packed shield wall there isnt all that much room to play with and us = swordsmen find it hard to get in good attacks without opening a gap in = the wall......the spearmen on the other will take advantage of any = weaknesses within reach....quite a long reach at that!!

Having once droped my guard a little at a recreation of Hastings...and = received four spears to the chest in the same instant I can personally = attest that in a Shield Wall the use of 1 Handed Spear is indeed a = effective thing (I can still remember the pain and it was about a decade = ago!)

DomT

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>&gt;&gt;In HW,=20
Spear &amp; Shield is said to be a common Heortling fighting style. But=20
<BR>&gt;&gt;how do people fight with 1H-spear? I'm sure it must work but =
i can't=20
picture <BR>&gt;&gt;this. How do you hold your spear? I've even tried = with a=20
wood shaft but it <BR>&gt;&gt;seems quite clumsy (note that i'm a poor=20 fighter...)</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
size=3D3></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>Jerome</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR><BR>&gt;It's actually =
remarkably easy.=20
You hold the spear in the middle of<BR>&gt;it's length or so, and stab = with it.=20
Without a shield, it's a bit<BR>&gt;clumsy, and very hard to defend - = best use=20
two-handed if you've no<BR>&gt;shield, you can hold it further back and = get=20
better reach too<BR>&gt;(one-handed you only get about the same reach as = a=20
sword, but a spear<BR>&gt;is a hell of a lot cheaper...). But WITH a = shield, you=20
lead with the<BR>&gt;shield &amp; shield shoulder, and stab past the = edge of it,=20
underhand or<BR>&gt;overhand. Overhand, you can throw it at a second's = notice=20

too (better<BR>&gt;have an alternative weapon=20
though...).<BR><BR>Wulf</FONT><BR></DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I agree totaly with Wulf.....with the following additional =
comments.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Spear and Shield's man can find himself a little at =
disadvantage=20
against, say, Sword and Shield because his primary weapon is vunerable = to being=20
batted aside or even chopped up.....IN ONE ON ONE combat. However when = the=20
shield wall forms the oposite is true. In a close packed shield wall = there isnt=20
all that much room to play with and us swordsmen find it hard to get in = good=20
attacks without opening a gap in the wall......the spearmen on the other = will=20
take advantage of any weaknesses within reach....quite a long reach at=20 that!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Having once droped my guard a little at a recreation of =
Hastings...and=20
received four spears to the chest in the same instant I can personally = attest=20
that in a Shield Wall the use of&nbsp;1 Handed Spear is indeed a = effective thing=20
(I can still remember the pain and it was about a decade ago!)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>DomT</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>