Re: Tarkalor Trollkiller

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_ican.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:59:36 -0600

>From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
>Subject: Re: Tarkalor Trollkiller
>
>In a message dated 1/22/01 7:04:00PM, you write:
>
><< He seems to have been the leader of a warband
> that kicked a lot of troll (Kitori) butt.>>
>
>In KoS they are threatening trade routes to the south, presumeably to the
>Holy Country. I suspect he was a glorified caravan guard, although as the
>King's brotehr , and later, Uncle, it was probably a bit more than that.

Tarkalor is a capital-H Hero, so he's got to be a lot more than a glorified caravan guard.

>From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
>Subject: EWF, Rufelza, Law Process, Immortalization

> Was his motivation simply
> >that they were available enemies? Does he have a particular hatred of
> >Trolls? Does he have any ties with the Wilmskirk Confederation? Since
> >the Kitori were mostly in the Holy Country, is there some anti-Pharoah
> >motivation here?
>
>Robin D. Laws is workong on this novel right now.
>Your answers will be forthcoming.

More specifically, the novel I'm working on covers Tarkalor as a young guy, before his Trollkiller days. The hope is (if the first one does well enough) that it will allow for a series. Should this happen, the material definitely cries out for a novel set during his Trollkiller period.

That said, I think you probably have to look closer to home for the reasons behind his anti-troll activities -- to the politics of Sartar, and within its royal family -- than to any long-standing matter likely to still affect the Kultaini tribe 80 years later. Which is a long-winded and cryptic way of saying that the trolls most likely do something to make themselves Tarkalor's enemies of opportunity.

Take care >>> Robin

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #224