Re: no vingan men

From: Topi Pitkanen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:57:20 +0200 (EET)

I think I will leave the dots away from the "a" in my name...

> > But let me begin with a related question: are there male followers of
> > Vinga? Or more to the point, is the all in "all followers of Vinga are
> > women" an orlanthi all of 85%? Are there a minority of a minority of
> > redheaded lads?

> Errmm... good question.
> But, it says in HW that Vinga is female-only.

Thank you for your support, Jane.

> The reason is simple: Vinga is the way that women worship Orlanth.

Good answer, a one heortling would use.

Makes me think, maybe it's also the other way around and Orlanth is a male way to worship that much older, powerful goddess that Jane was hinting about ?? ;)

> No. No and No.
> No. Vinga is open to women only.
> Every single follower of Vinga is a woman.

Well... sounds right, I agree. (I was only wondering.) The idea to ask that particular question came with a play-session. One of characters made a question to his nice aunt, who is a vingan, could he be vingan too? A childish question, but the characters aren't full adults yet and those players are new to glorantha.

The aunt didn't really answer, instead I had her send the boy to run a lot of errands and then she sent him home. My quess is, she hopes the boy to forget his foolish thoughts.

Then I posted my question to the digest. I wanted some backbone to say, no. And I wanted to know really why the men could not join, or could they?

Thank you for your answers. If the player-character comes to his aunt with that particular question again, she will have to be direct: "Boy, no can do. I'm sorry to tell you this: you are a male. Be a man."

> > What are the reasons and effects of male-exclusion in cults of
> > glorantha? [or female-exclusion as well]

> Divine decree.

Nicely put abbreviation.

Perhaps questioning certain divine gender-preferences in glorantha is quite as useful as is trying to refute gravity in real world?

In my game, it is enough that the vingan aunt is simply certain that men can not be initiated to her goddess 'cause it just couldn't be done that way.

> Please do not try to make her into everything.
> She is enough, which is quite a lot, just as she is.

I wont. I still think it isn't absolute that males can not be vingans. I mean... there's the trickster way.
I think it would make a great Eurmal-story:  The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Vingan.

 -TOPI "Any worldwiew that isn't strange is automatically false."