Re: Good Myths

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:05:28 EST

In a message dated 2/6/01 7:45:34PM, you write:

<< So what makes a good myth? Have you discovered any useful principles of  myth-building? Should myths be... short? long? simple? detailed? Should they  tie in with well-known Gloranthan mythology? Should they be independent? >>

I am afraid I do not know the answer to this either. A specific problem I have is with gods we already know about. I tend to start thinking of the biography of the god instead of breaking that gods story into little bits, or episodes. The effect this has is to make gods defined by the one story that ismost famous. We know Orlanth killed the sun, then got him back again and that is the essense of his story (IMO, and just as an example) but that doesn't mean that his myth is all about that whole thing even though all his other myths relate to it in some way.

Keith N