3EB, Logicians, Henotheism

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 00:19:45 -0000

Hi!

>>And they [the Logicians] came from the Land of Logic.

Peter Metcalfe:
>That's correct. Their philosophy is probably indistinguishable
>from that taught at the University of Sog City.

Extensive Logic? With various lessons of Logic Specialities. And Sorcerous Practicals. Malkion and Zzabur are ancient precursors of Logical studies. Sorcery was originally the only magic which allowed full understanding of the Creation, because it's based on Logic. But modern Malkioni don't seem to care much about Logic anymore. Even those who don't worship pagan gods indulge in alien, subjective concepts like Idealism or Realism and morality, which have nothing to do with pure Logic.

Of course you wouldn't like to live like your dear Brithini masters. Those ones think Logic makes Law. However you have to behave like Brithini when the masters are around, for fear of having to copy 1000 times 'The Law forbids me to yawn during the lesson'.

Greg Stafford on Third Eye Blue:
>The connection is not necessarily direct, except that they came fro
>Fronela. The whole "blue people age" is fuzzy.

Maybe some of them were forced to migrate to the west when the seas invaded, and they arrived in Pelanda with their Three-Eyed Piku & dwarf slaves at the same time as other Blues, and built Kitor in the Brass Mountains whereas other Blues created and settled in Lake Oronin.

The 'Who Are the Blue People' and 'Why do two rivers flow from the Sweet Sea' Q&As give excellent insights into the fuzzy age.

Eventually i found a mention of 3E Piku in TotRM#16 the Lunar Special. Looks like he isn't the same guy as the one who stole iron, though possibly both are the same extinct (or not) cyclops race.

Me:
>Even among those Stygians who claim to be Malkioni - i.e. more than it
>should i guess - some of them don't use sorcery and use theist pagan magic
>instead? Hrestol!>>

Trotsky:
> Some of the henotheist sects use theist magic in addition to sorcery,
>I believe (though I could be wrong). That is, they have both
>wizards and theist priests in the same religion, believing that, as
>the pagan gods were created by the Invisible God, it must be OK to
>worship them too (or some variant on that theme - there are a lot of
>different forms of henotheism). The common folk pray to either the
>Invisible God or to the pagan gods, depending which is more appropriate for
>what they want at the time. The high ups, however, are either one or the
>other, given the difficulty of using magics from two radically different
>world views at the same time.
> Certainly the waertagi do this, so I'm sure at least some Ralian
>henotheists do as well - although not all of them, by any means. All
>entirely
>IMO.
Certainly both view can exist in the same religion (any local henotheist church), belonging to distinct orders of that religion.

There is a nice example of henotheism at Nikk Effingham's site http://members.xoom.com/wakboth
His Otkorioni henotheists get affinites from their major saints (Orlanth, Ralia, etc) as well as from their other saints, thus sometimes the misapplied worship rules apply. They also have several sorcerous orders who may access to some saints too.

In other Safelster area, where Malkioni influence was greater, theistic orders would be rare and most henotheists would rather worship (among other saints) gods labelled 'saints' and get misapplied worship modifiers.

What about if an Aeolus was a saintly wizard misapplyingly worshipping Orlanth Thunderous and becoming a sorcerous hero of that god? If his own node was on the sorcerous plane, couldn't he be contacted without misapplied worship? The liturgists could cast blessings similar to Orlanth Thunderous's feats. All the proper rites to gain spells from Aeolus's node would be written down in a grimoire. (Unholy and heretical in a monotheistic Malkioni's eyes, and they'd think it's the Worlath grimoire or something like that. But when you need rain or a blessing to fight other trolls, that comes in handy).

What about if a Malkioni worships Saint Quicksilver and reads an inferior copy of the dwarf grimoire of Quicksilver (the first Quicksilver Mostali). I bet the dwarfs don't have the same view of the sorcerous plane (for them it's bolts and gears in the Machine or something like that). Is it misaplied worship if the sorcerer thinks it's a node whereas it's a screw?? (or, in Quicksilver's case, maybe a transmutation chamber)

Thus, henotheists could

- - worship sorcerous entities (Saint Quicksilver, Saint Xemela),
- - misapplyingly worship gods as saints (Saint Garzeen),
- - sacrifice to gods as saints and get affinities (like in Otkorion)
- - ?worship sorcerous heroes of a god (Aeolus?)
- - misapplyingly worship mixed entities:):) (Arkat!)

The different aspects could be found in the same church as various orders of that church.

Arkat could be somehow between the sorcerous plane and the godsplane. But the original, complex combined worship of Arkat was lost long ago, and all the different sects are misapplyingly worshipping him, either as a saint, hero or combined thing (like Dormal), though each claims the contrary.

Maybe Irripi Ontor's Read Malkioni Writings feat allows his worshippers to misapplyingly get spells from Malkioni grimoires. The feat score could be used to break the 10w3 barrier and it would require double HP, ie 6 points, to attune to the grimoire! Like Dormal captains, they could have both spells and affinities as part of their god's teachings.

Jerome