Illumination

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:08:06 -0500

Greg Stafford says:

>In fact, Illumination IS a form of mysticism.
>See Hero Wars p 221.

        Let's see if I have this right. The Pelorians have a tradition of mysticism (maybe from the contemplation of Dayzatar). These traditions got a big boost during the Bright Empire, because they interfaced well with the teachings of Nysalor. The most famous form of Illumination, for RQ players, was the form taught by the Riddlers, who essentailly offered the experience of Illumination without any moral, ethical, or philosophical framework. As a result, many people from the Bright Empire fell into Error and became more emeshed in the world rather than seeking release from it. They sought after power, abused their gnosis, and "misapplied" mystic teachings in theist settings. So Illumination is essentially Pelorian Mysticism, but the most common form (at least to players) is the debased teachings of the Riddlers. Is this basically it?

        It seems to me that the Lunar mystic schools are an attempt to redeem some of these teachings, since they seek to Include, rather than Refute, the World. They are, however, providing (I would guess) the moral, etc framework that Riddling lacks.

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #371