Languages

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:38:09 +0300

Theo wrote

:Terra, Adept and I (mostly) discussed this a while ago on the herowars
:list. It might be useful searching for 'Gloranthan names' on the herowars
:archives. As a refresher, I had brought up the question (essentially) of
:what cultural names we could pull on, to suggest to the players the best
:implicit parallels to earth cultures.

Indeed. A favorite topic, and apparently a source of neverending headscraching for me.

:I seem to recall that Adept and I basically agreed on the following
:parallels:
:Lunar: Arabic
:Carmanian: Persian/Iranian
:Firespeech: Hebrew (possible replacement: Ancient egyptian?)
:Pelandan: ancient greek
:Dara Happan: Sumerian
:Darjiinian: 'soft' sumerian

I mostly agree.

I have adopted Ancient Greek for Firespeech, and old Norse for Stormtongue long ago though, and I still support that (IMG, at least), but othervice I can back that list.

I'm not even so fussy about the spesific languages. I'd just like to have some sort of consensus so we would each know from which languagebase to draw names from, for offiscial / semioffiscial stuff at least.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.