Re: Star navigation

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:05:29 +0100 (BST)

Jerome Blondel:
> Sure, you can find your direction, but if as everyone said the night sky
> appears the same (Pole Star overhead, Kalikos north, and so on) from any
> place in Glorantha, the stars seem to me basically useless for positioning.

I consider this a "feature" myself, rather than a "bug". If one could readily "triangulate" one's position from a conveniently small sky dome, it would "feel wrong" to me. Consider the difficuly of the "longitude problem" in the RW (not solved until the 18th century). Celestial or magical means of accomplishing that would have an excessively "steampunk" feel to it, IMO. (Which doubtless means the Mostali can -- mayne they use Zenith as a GPS...)