dragon looks

From: Topi Pitkanen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:28:02 +0300 (EEST)

Mikko Rintasaari asked about in what shapes and forms dream dragons appear. The many answers to him emphazized that there are myriad possible variations. Dragons sure are as varied as snowflakes.

But I think that discussing differences (or looks...) between dream dragons is slightly like discussing differences between sexes. It's relevant to give some thoughts to similarities too.

We know dream dragons are dreams (or such) of the true dragons. This gives me two broad categories along which I try to fit the individual dream dragons into a pattern. The Dreams & Dragons.

DREAM ASSUMPTION:
Dream dragons from similar type of dreams are in some way alike. There are plenty of intresting dream categories and explanation systems. Just think nightmare-dream dragons, wet-dream dragons, kitten-hunts-in-sleep-dream dragons or lucid-dream dragons. Sometimes a dream dragon is just a sigar... This is not saying that dragons would dream human dreams.

I use this so that those dream dragons that I guess to be born from broadly same kind of dream have something in common in how they feel, how they act - what kind of vibes they generate.

DRAGON ASSUMPTION:
Dream dragons created by the same true dragon are in some way alike. There are few true dragons we can point out. There are three-four in Dragon Pass or maybe five if one counts the Inhuman King? I assume that the known true dragons have originated most of the known dream dragons. So I imagine lineages of dream dragons with a little bit of the true dragon in each and every individual. This is paraller to the draconewt eggbrother theme.

I think being created by certain true dragon is reflected in the visual looks and coloration, perhaps even in the set of powers of dream dragons. My dream dragons have been "all" Jarn's ;)

& ASSUMPTION
Dragon looks and dragon dreams are also in the eye of the beholder.

People in situation may experience a dream dragon very differently. A peasant saw a mountain, but the prophet knew it was coming to him.

"Any worldwiew that isn't strange is automatically false."