Triangulation at sea

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:01:28 -0000

I didn't know about "the dread Tin Compasses". Surely a rare item! Well, I guess the good chart isn't quite so easy to get too (especially when you need to know the distance between, say, Nolos and Jrustela...) And then, hope the weather keep clear. But it's funny in a way. I can imagine the navigator pointing on his chart and proudly say: "We are here!..." (well, actually, somewhere in that 400-km-radius circle... notwithstanding the errors on the chart.)

Also, "triangulation" and tin compasses would probably mostly be a Malkioni (and maybe Kethaelan) thing, provided that the sailors don't go stricken with fear when the captain takes measures of the Red Moon (don't the Red Vadeli come from there?). Others would do like the Vikings who sailed in night-less summer under a cloudy sky, or (in the east and Maslo?) like the Polynesians.

Jerome