Uleria the Great Goddess

From: Patrick Anders <patanders_at_nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 02:31:41 -0400

Per Peter Larsen:

>Uleria (Uleria again!) is a Special Case. I doubt if she is a Great
>God in the sense that a whole culture worships Her (although there's that
>Zoria place), but She has many faces and a lot of different cultures honor
>Her (in different ways, some as enemies).

Well, Uleria is the sole surviving member of the Celestial Court. That cuts across many cultures, and in many ways qualifies her for "greatness" of itself. No mortal worships Arachne Solara (except possibly Cragspider the Witch, to the extent she's mortal), but none of the cultures that acknowledge her would deny her greatness.

My opinion is that gods gain strength simply from their prominence in myth, even the myths of those who don't worship them. A good example is Zorak Zoran, who is acknowledged by many more outsiders than he has worshippers (Orlanthi, non-Orlanthi Humakti, Lunars, Praxians, Aldryami, Mostali, chaos spawn - there's no end to the list of those Zorak Zoran has injured). His cult is tiny, he's just an Uz wargod, but its significance outweighs its size.

And on that basis Uleria, who also spans pantheons albeit in a more benevolent way, is surely a great goddess. Love counts for something.