Metcalfery

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:42:52 -0500

Peter Metcalfe says:

>1) The Lunars do not actually want to replace Orlanth but keep

        OK, fair argument. Part of the process is spliting his worship up, though, right? (Actually, they seem fixated on totally ending his open worship, but it may be part of the plan to unveil a kindler, gentler Orlanth.)

>2) If for the sake of argument, the Lunars have actually ditched
> their sanity and theirs moderate goals and instead vowed to

        OK, that's another point to you and a good campaign idea. I'm still not sure it would always be a Cosmic Disaster. Lokamayadon almost replace Orlanth and the world didn't end... I realize he didn't succeed, but I think the world would have continued, regardless. n the other hand, the Lunars don't seem to have a Lokamayadon waiting around to take up the slack....

>Orlanth has already violated Humakt's tests of honor and justice
>when he first stole the sword. And not killing Orlanth would have
>only been worse because from the Humakti PoV, he could not be
>changed until he had been killed.

        The cool thing about Orlanth, though, is unlike most of his brothers (most gods, really), his movement powers let him change. I can accept that this is how the Humakti see it, but it would be weird if the Orlanthi central mysteries had (one of) the most vital lesson of their god enforced by someone else. Orlanth fixes what he breaks because that's the Just thing to do, not because his ex-brother makes him.

>>It would be nice if [the Great God of Death] was called something besides
>>Humakt, then, since it priveleges the Orlanthi worldview.
>
>Why? AFAIK there's no problem in the case of Orlanth, Yelm or
>the Red Goddess being Great Gods....

        It's not a question of being a great god; it's a question of being the whole expression of that quality or Power. If Yelm is the Sun, all other sun gods depend from him, which they don't seem to. Silimalrly, if Humakt is Death, one would expect all death gods to have similar approaches and qualities, which they don't. So one assumes there is a more basic Death that Humakt himself depends from.

>>If there is a Supreme Power of Air, it has to
>>cover more than what the Orlanthi worship.
>
>- -..but apparently you do think there is a problem. I fail to
>see the point about the privileged worldview. All the Orlanthi
>are getting is Orlanth's biased viewpoint about the way the
>Cosmos should be (and this is true for other Great Gods).

        If I'm living off in Vithela, and I worship a god of the Storm, I'm not somehow worshipping Orlanth. I can imagine that I'm strengthening Air, and, because the big O is the biggest Air god, he benefits the most, but it's an indirect thing. Otherwise, we're back to the monomyth.

Peter Larsen