Horses

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:49:16 +1300

Jerome Blondel:

>Me>A much better explanation is that Plentonius not knowing who
> >figure IV-18 was, identified her with Gamara to defame the
> >horse people

>So, the Nivorah rune which is her head isn't a Nivorah rune,
>after all.

That doesn't follow. If Gamara doesn't come from Nivorah, then the figure of IV-18 can still be a Nivorah goddess.

>But maybe it's another example of Yelm's all-reaching Omniscience?

>"You, Gamara, i foresee you will end up howling in the Fourth Hell and your
>arms will be torn off by my sister-in-Divine Law."

Hardly. The Wall is a representation of the Gods of Dara Happa worshipped at the time it was made. The accompanying text is Plentonius's interpretation of what the Gods Wall means some aeons after the fact. Since Plentonius is anxious to show that the gods worshipped in his time are the same as the gods worshipped then, he indulges in a number of tricks to hide the apparent problems. Yelm's omniscience is one of them. Another is to pretend that various deities have sneaked onto the wall without Yelm's position, so he doesn't have to condone the worship of Uleria and Umatum.

> >I do not believe all Pentans were Starlight Wanderers.

>Didn't they all worship stars in addition to their horses? That
>doesn't necessarily make them all Starlight Wanderers, but that's
>what i thought.

Starlight Wanderers is used with a specific definition, i.e. horse nomads descended from the Starlight Ancestors. Even if other horse nomads worshipped stars at the time, they are not Starlight Wanderers.

> >There are a number of possible reasons. My own thinking is that
> >the Pentan Hyalorings survived on Pent as the Pure Horse People
> >until they were forced south by General Kastok's campaigns. When
> >they arrived in Prax and Dragon Pass, they already had herds of
> >hyals.

>It's workable and nicely explains the Pure Horse People's keeping that
>name, but it's rather downplaying the Feather Horse Queen's mythical
>deeds in reviving the entire Goldeneye breed IMO.

One can easily say that the Pure Horse tribe lost their herd of Goldeneyes when they were kicked out of Prax at the battle of Alavan Argay.