7MQ & LBQ

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_etyries.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 06:50:56 -0000

Fleshing out Peter's table of RQCon2 speculations, here's how I remember Greg mapping the Lightbringers to the Seven Mothers, almost seven years ago. (In which time, lots can change).
	Orlanth         Danfive Xaron
	Issaries        Jakaleel the Witch
	Lhankor Mhy     Irrippi Ontor
	Chalana Arroy   She Who Waits
	Flesh Man       Teelo Norri
	Eurmal          Yanafal Tarnils
	Ginna Jar       Queen Deezola

Danfive takes Orlanth's role as the Penitent Thief, Outlaw and Murderer.

Jakaleel takes Issaries' role as the Guide through the Underworld. (Albeit blind, mad, trollish and shamanic).

Irrippi Ontor takes Lhankor Mhy's role as the Man who Knew Too Much.

She Who Waits takes Chalana Arroy's role as an embodiment of Healing and Compassion. (Remember, She is commonly associated with the White Moon).

Teelo Norri takes Flesh Man's role as "Everyman". (Her own time as a mad prophet comes later, after the Quest, when she's Teelo Estara).

Yanafal Tarnils takes Eurmal's role as rule-breaking trickster, and has a special "fooled you!" relationship with Death, "stealing" it from its jealous guardian (in this case Humakt, not Vivamort). He also knows the Wile E Coyote trick of getting up again when you're DEAD.

Queen Deezola takes Ginna Jar's role, and she too has a special relationship with Arachne Solara.

(My own personal mapping swaps Deezola and She Who Waits, because Deez/Healing and SWW/unnamed collective entity are such tempting correspondences).

Jerome writes (after providing his own set of associations):

> The comparison stops there for me, because when you associate the mothers
> with their corresponding parts of the Red Goddess, you find very little
> correspondence with the Lightbringers.

This is true, and welcome. I think it's important to recognise that as well as the evil Lightbringer ritual, lots of other stuff was going on in the Seven Mothers' Quest, mostly incorporating Pelorian Moon Stories. Don't assume *everything* maps neatly to one Orlanthi story.

Hope this helps,

Nick