New Pelorian and Language Engineering

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:14:26 GMT

>From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_nildram.co.uk>
>To: Glorantha Digest <glorantha_at_rpglist.org>

>HOWEVER, I maintain that if someone in the RW has had some theory about
>anthropology or history, however discredited it is now, then there
>should exist in Glorantha some people who confirm to that theory. Thus,
>we have noble savages (that's YOU, Heortlings) and structuralist
>mythology (the God Learners). By extension, there should exist in
>Glorantha a language that (perhaps mytho-magically) conforms to the
>Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.

Seems reasonable so far.

>I think there could be no better candidate than
>New Pelorian.

That I don't see, New Pelorian is far too widely used for it to require a particular way of thinking. The obvious candidate is Old Wyrmish which requires a forked tongue to speak correctly and contains draconic concepts incomprehensible to normal humans. Another possibility is the pre-lunar language of the Dara Happa empire with an overlapping of the concepts of change and evil.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

End of Glorantha Digest