New Pelorian

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:13:36 +1200

Ian Cooper:

>Was Tradetalk a Godlearner attempts to reconstruct
>that universal language?

No, it is an Issaries gift that predates the God Learners and perhaps the Greater Darkness as well.

>With the Lunar heroquesters interest in the green age,
>and their incorporation of the 'female' into the
>otherwise phallic cultures of Dara Happa and Carmania
>one wonders if New Pelorian is a language that tries
>to signify without difference, and is thus a non-
>phallogocentric language.

Given that New Pelorian itself recognizes sexual differences ("Rune Priestesses of [the Seven Mothers] cult are commonly titled priestesses [...]" CoP p42), its non-phallogocentricity is a non-starter. Even if it didn't, the speakers of Turkish, a language with only one gender, still can be sexist.

For reasons like these, I prefer to describe New Pelorian and other languages in terms of effects and literary allusions rather than detailing actual language features.

>Speaking such a language
>would foster clear communication because we would have
>no diagreement over meaning - words would resonate in
>the same way with all who experienced them.

But the arcane purpose of New Pelorian is not to foster clear communication, but to engender a sense of unity. If anything it is intelligible glossolalia "speaking in tongues". One can still speak complete incomprehensible garbage (c.f. the White Moonies) and still arouse the sense of unity.

--Peter Metcalfe