Re: Are Gloranthans Human?

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:35:02 GMT

>From: Simon Hibbs <Simon.Hibbs_at_marconi.com>

>Donald Oddy
>
>>Alternatively creating a child is a heroquest in itself and the details
>>of that heroquest determine the child's attributes. ... It would explain
>>why pre-marital sex is acceptable in Orlanthi society (without the
>>heroquest a child will not be born)
>
>Fortunately it appears that this particular heroquest, like many others,
>is instinctive. I'm reminded of a comment (by Karen Armstrong, an author)
>that Homo Sapiens might be better classified as Homo Religiens
>(Religiosus?).

I'm actually suggesting that in Glorantha procreation is not instinctive. It is a heroquest learnt, just like the initiation heroquest, by pretty much everybody. There are acceptable variations with known results such as those which produce children associated with gods other than the main ones - such as Uroxi in Orlanthi cultures. Then there are variations which produce children associated with enemy deities, while other variations can produce unviable babies or even chaotic creatures which is why experimenting with the heroquest is taboo.

Reminds me of the tale of the Lunar nobleman experimenting to find the way of creating superhuman servants and ending up with a dungeon full of chaotic beasts. This might be what he was doing.

Whether this should actually be true, even in my Glorantha, I'm not sure but it is an idea for a distinct non-human aspect which is consistant with the culture and mythos of Glorantha.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/